For the cake
- 2.5 oz/ 70 gms/ 1/3 cup butter
- 2.5 oz/70 gms/ 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 5 oz/ 145 gms/ 2/3 cup self-raising flour
- 2.5 oz/ 70 gms/ 1/3 cup chopped pecan nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence (I use real vanilla essence it really does taste different)
- 1 tablespoon liquid coffee (like Camp coffee) or see below if you don't have liquid coffee
Add the egg and beat mixture
Fold in the flour then mix in the chopped pecan nuts, vanilla essence and liquid coffee
Mix until just combined (not over mixing)
Spoon mixture into your prepared loaf tin, make a small well along centre of cake to stop it having a pointy bit in the middle when cooked (unless you want a pointy bit down the middle of your cake) and cook for approx. 30 mins in a moderate heat oven or until brown.
Tip: if you put a knife into the centre of the cake it should come out clean (no mixture sticking to it) Leave to cool
For the buttercream
- 2 oz / 50 gms/ 1/3 cup butter
- 4 oz/ 100 gms/ 2/3 cup icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- 1-2 teaspoons liquid coffee (to taste)
Spread over the cooled cake, you can add a few pecan nuts to decorate.
If you don't have liquid coffee you can mix 6 - 8 teaspoons instant coffee to 5 tablespoons boiling water stir well to dissolve and leave to cool. Use as liquid coffee essence.