Tuesday 29 October 2013

Sweet Pepper Relish




On special offer at the supermarket a few weeks ago were very large bags of mixed peppers. I bought a bag but only used half the peppers. I hate wasting food so chopped the peppers up and put them in the freezer for adding to soups and sauces, it seemed like a good idea (I also do this with other fruit & veg onions are always handy to have chopped and really) except on Friday my fridge/ freezer stopped working. Now I am busy using everything up before the food spoils. The peppers were at the front so I decided to make some sweet pepper relish. This recipe made a small jar and tastes great with some crackers and cheese :)
For larger qualities just double, triple etc. up the basic recipe. If you like your sweet relish with a kick add 1/2 tsp of chili flakes or a finely chopped a small chili.

  • 6 oz Prepared bell peppers - de-seeded & finely chopped (I used a mix of red, yellow, green & orange because that's what I had)
  • 3 Shallots (or 1 small onion)
  • 3 oz sugar
  • 1 Clove garlic (crushed)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 170 mls/ 6 fl oz Apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp Olive oil
Prepare the peppers - remove the seeds and white inner walls, chop finely. Add to a saucepan.







Peel and chop the shallots finely, crush the garlic and add to the saucepan with the sugar, vinegar, salt and oil.







Bring to a boil then simmer until reduced and the mixture has thickened (approx.10 - 15 minutes).




 Spoon into a sterilised jar/s. Seal at once.










No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...