The weather is getting cooler and sometimes after a hard week working its just nice to relax with a warm slice of cake with custard or cream. Brings me back to my childhood, when there were some really back winters, my mom always made tasty warm treats to warm us up :)
Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400ºF/ gas mark 6
Prepare your baking tin (I used a greaseproof paper circle at the bottom of my silicone baking tin for ease of turn the cake out)
For the cake
- 6 slices canned pineapple (drain the juice reserving 3 tablespoons of the liquid)
- 100 grams/ 4oz/ ½ cup caster sugar/ (superfine USA)
- 100 grams/ 4oz/ 1 stick soft butter
- 100 grams/ 4oz/ ⅔ cup plain flour/ (all-purpose flour USA)
- 3 Heaped tablespoons desiccated coconut
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Medium eggs
Beat together in a large bowl the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the egg and continue beating the mixture.
Fold in the flour, coconut and pineapple liquid.
Mix until just combined (not over mixing)
Spoon mixture onto the pineapple slices and cook for approx. 30 minutes in a moderate heat oven or until brown.
Tip: if you put a knife into the centre of the cake it should come out clean (no mixture sticking to it)
Leave to cool slightly before carefully removing. Can be served it warm or cold, on its own or with custard or cream or both :)